I installed upgrade, substituted windows, obtained new exterior doors, caulked and weatherstripped
I recently obtained a building that includes 4 separate apartments! The building is quite ancient and features original hardwood floors, doors and moldings. The giant windows and high ceilings make these apartments difficult to heat and cool, however when I obtained the buildings there was no insulation in the walls and ceilings. All of the windows were harshly ancient and leaked a tremendous amount of air. The front and back doors of the apartments lacked weatherstripping and failed to shut securely. When I asked the leaseholders if they had any complaints or concerns, they all told me about cold conditions while in the Winter and concerns with heat and humidity in the summer. They were unhappy with the performance of the heating and cooling systems and hoped I’d consider replacing them, however i checked the biweekly utility costs and saw a steady increase over the years. I then hired a local Heating and A/C contractor to look over the heating and cooling equipment. The contractor found that the units were not ancient but had not been correctly cared for. The leaseholders had failed to respectfully substitute air filters and the former owner hadn’t kept up with professional repair. A thorough cleaning and adjustment of the heating and cooling system significantly improved efficiency, capacity and indoor air quality. I obtained a supply of filters and handed them out to the leaseholders. I also went around the apartments and completed a long list of improvements to eliminate energy waste. I installed upgrade, substituted windows, obtained new exterior doors, caulked and weatherstripped. The leaseholders are not much happier with the comfort level of their apartments. I’m thankful that the biweekly energy bills aren’t costing me as much.